    SubjectRe: Disk IO statistics still buggy
    On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Adrian Bunk wrote:

    > On Thu, 4 Jul 2002, Jochen Suckfuell wrote:
    >
    > > Hi!
    >
    > Hi Jochen!
    >
    > > The IO statistics displayed in /proc/partitions are still buggy, because
    > > after some time, the value for the currently running requests gets too
    > > high or too low (see the archives, look for "/proc/partitions").
    > >
    > > Is anyone working on a fix?
    > Marcelos' BK repository (that will become 2.4.19-rc2) includes a patch to
    > remove these statistics completely from /proc/partitions...

    Is this the new Linux way of life? Removing modules is hard, GET RID OF
    THE FEATURE! Stats in /proc/partitions are not always correct, GET RID OF
    THE FEATURE!

    The IDE support in 2.5 sucks rocks off the bottom of the ocean, is that
    next?

    To the point, the stats are there, there are used by many of the widely
    used distributions, this is supposed to be stable, that's the excuse for
    not adding features, how can that justify taking out a feature? That's one
    of the useful things for determining which (if any) partitions have enough
    traffic to be best candidates for a separate drive. Yes I know there are
    other more complex ways than looking at human readable numbers. Why is
    that desirable? Why not fix the feature (I don't agree it's all that far
    off in most cases).

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc