SubjectRe: IBM Desktar disk problem?
On Fri, 5 Jul 2002, Jens Axboe wrote:

> Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 12:40:37 +0200
> From: Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
> To: venom@sns.it
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: IBM Desktar disk problem?
>
> On Fri, Jul 05 2002, venom@sns.it wrote:
> >
> > HI,
> > I was trying kernel 2.5 with TCQ enabled.
> > I tried it on three Desktar disk (manufactured in Thailand
> > in february 2001) model dtla 305020.
> >
> > All three disk died after some week, without
> > any signal of being dying.
> > I was starting to suspect about an HW problem.
> >
> > With 2.4 kernels, no tcq, they could work
> > without any problem for almost 8 months, but now,
> > I moved those disk to test systems to test tcq support
> > and all died badly. This is not an heat problem, since
> > thay staty in a CED conditioned at 18C.
>
> This is a puzzling report. I wouldn't recommend that anyone use tcq in
> 2.5 actually, since even I do not know what state it is currently in. I
> would seriously recommend 2.4 + tcq patches instead.
>
> That said, are your disks completely dead now? As in they do not work
> with a regular 2.4 kernel anymore?!

Right now they are good just for the trash box.
There is no way they could work, and I listen a noisy
tic-tac frrr tic-tac from the head of the disks...

I would think to an HW problem, but why all three together?
and why exacly when I tested tcq?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.855 / U:0.008 seconds]