SubjectRe: [announce] [patch] batch/idle priority scheduling, SCHED_BATCH
On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 02:26:42AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> the load generated by multiple SCHED_BATCH processes does not show up in
> the load average - this is the straightforward solution to not confuse
> load-average-sensitive applications such as sendmail.

I think this will confuse atd too, which is an obvious candidate
for the batch scheduler; it may end up starting all jobs which
sit in it's "batch" queue.

I think a load-average calculation scheme like this would be better:

oldload: is the load average calculated the old way
batchload: is the load average calculated only from the batch scheduler
numcpus: number of cpus...

newload(){
if (oldload > numcpus) return oldload;
if ((oldload+batchload) > numcpus) return numcpus;
return (oldload+batchload)
}

So the batch processes would show the CPUs maxed out, but would not show
up as overload in the load average. (and you could run
"atd -l <numcpus - 0.3>")

regards:
Gabor Vitez

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.047 / U:1.292 seconds]