    SubjectRe: [linux-lvm] LVM2 modifies the buffer_head struct?
    Jens Axboe wrote:

    > > We just want ext3/jbd to make sure that it only calls bh2jh on
    > > an unlocked buffer... is that easy?
    >
    > That's the question indeed, someone with a good grasp of jbd should make
    > that call. If that is the only 'violator' (depending on your point of
    > view), then yes lets just fix that up and say that the above is pb
    > private is valid.

    We really don't want to do this, please. Changing things so
    that we can only run bh2jh() and, particularly, journal_add_journal_head()
    on a locked buffer would involve fairly unpleasant surgery against
    parts of ext3 which are already prone to exploding. Like
    do_get_write_access().

    If it was needed for 2.5 then hmm, maybe. But as this is only a
    2.4 problem then I really don't think we should risk breaking
    or slowing down the filesystem for this.

    Look, it's easy: delete buffer_head.b_inode (which is only used as
    a boolean), move its function to a b_state bit. Add a new
    buffer_head.ext3_hack and we can use that for pointing at the journal_head.

    <insert "stable kernel" mantra here ;)>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.041 / U:91.764 seconds]