    SubjectRe: 2.4.18 clock warps 4294 seconds
    On Jul 29, 11:39am, george anzinger <> wrote:
    > > The "if (count > LATCH)" block has been taken out of the 2.4.18
    > I am not sure it was ever in the kernel in that form. Are
    > you sure you did not put some patch in here?

    I've never deliberately touched anything in there. Everything
    will have come from RedHat (7.2 CDs) or, and I'm
    pretty sure I didn't install any interim and/or experimental
    versions or patches.

    > I wish I knew more about this hardware bug. The test
    > suggests that the chip is not resetting the latch on
    > interrupt, but rather that it just rolls over (or under).
    > This would cause the count to, again, reach zero (and,
    > hopefully interrupt) in about 50 ms. On the other hand, the
    > chip could be switching modes and only the "0X34" mode will
    > continue to interrupt with out the chip being reprogrammed.
    > In this case, it is hard to understand how the system keeps
    > ANY time at all.

    Both machines generally seem to keep time just fine, apart
    from the bumps. But then, there were only a few of the
    hardware bug warning messages in the logs, so it didn't
    manifest itself very often.

    Anyway, nothing caught over the weekend, unfortunately. The trap
    in do_fast_gettimeoffset() reads:

    if ( eax > 100000000 ) {
    glob_eax = eax;
    return delay_at_last_interrupt;

    Then a check and printk() in do_gettimeofday(). The machine
    has lost NTP synch somewhat sporadically, but not as regularly
    as before. Sigh. Maybe it's the weather, we've been having a
    heatwave since Friday, and everybody and everything in the office
    is roasting.

    I'm going to try to fiddle around some more, also with the other

    -- Per

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.027 / U:3.152 seconds]