    SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.19-rc3 (hyperthreading)
    On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Andrew Theurer wrote:

    > On Monday 29 July 2002 4:28 pm, Alan Cox wrote:
    > > Its quite possible the irq routing ought to be smarter, at the moment
    > > I'm not sure of the best approaches.
    >
    > Agreed, we need some sort of irqbalance, and I intend to test with Ingo's and
    > Andrea's approaches. With that addition, I may even see an improvement with
    > hyperthreading. But for an rc release, I think it would be prudent to revert
    > the "new code" for default hyperthreading behavior, and attack the whole
    > problem in 2.4.20 or later release.

    Ingo Molnars patches for .17 and .18 worked
    well for us, and did balance the ints load across all the CPUs very well.

    You can find the patches I used agains 2.4.18 at
    http://www.hardrock.org/kernel/

    BTW, this was on a production box for approximately one month,
    then the box mysteriously crashed. Due to the fact that our load wasn't
    utilizing the hyperthreading that much I removed acpismp=force from the
    boot string.

    The are balanced across the 2 real CPUs.

    Regards
    James Bourne

    > -Andrew Theurer
    >
    > -

    James Bourne, Supervisor Data Centre Operations
    Mount Royal College, Calgary, AB, CA
    www.mtroyal.ab.ca

    addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
    information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
    intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
    take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or