    SubjectRe: Speaker twiddling [was: Re: Panicking in morse code]
    On Sat, Jul 27, 2002 at 02:56:41PM -0400, you [Albert D. Cahalan] wrote:
    > Reality?
    > There's no "set up a microphone and decoder" problem.
    > Most people have a tape recorder. Use that, then play
    > back into the PC's sound card after you reboot. Post the
    > sound file on a web site.

    I don't have a tape recorder, and even if I had that procedure is so tedious
    that I'd rather write the oops down with a pen. And I don't use pen
    willingly as it is error prone. (I don't even dare to think what Windows
    people would say if I actually found a magnetophone and a mic and tried to
    sneak into the curiously twittering server room without anyone noticing.)

    Let's get real. There's much better solutions already available:
    - serial console that has been in kernel for ages
    (sneaking into server room with an old laptop and serial cable
    at least _looks_ professional)
    - kmsgdump from Willy Tarreau that writes the oops to a floppy (even makes
    a msdos fs), can use printer and enables pgup/pgdown even after lockup so
    that you can see the whole kernel ring buffer (who would ever notice if
    you sneak out from the server room with a floppy or a sheet of paper)
    - netconsole from Ingo Molnar that logs the oops over udp (you don't even
    have to sneak into the server room)

    Now, I would assume that most people have a floppy, printer or a network
    connection. At least more people than have a tape recorder.

    -- v --

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:0.848 seconds]