SubjectRe: Patch for 256 disks in 2.4
Hi Pete,

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 07:57:29PM -0400, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> For those who do not follow, John Cagle allocated 8 more SCSI
> disk majors.

Have those officially been assigned to SCSI disks?
So disks 128 -- 255 have majors 128 thr. 135?

> Here's a patch to make use of them. I am not sure
> if we want a 2.5 version; it's going to be all devicefs anyhow...

I've written a patch for sd that makes the allocation of majors
dynamic. The driver just takes 8 at sd_init and further majors are
allocated when disks are attached. Which saves a lot of memory for
all the gendisk and hd_struct stuff in case you do not have a lot of
SCSI disks connected. The patch does support up to 160 SD majors,
though currently, it won't succeed getting more than 132 majors.

> It really is strange how many places know major assignments.

Indeed. I missed the sysrq stuff in my patch, BTW.
Do you have any idea why we can't just sync all mounted filesystems
in do_emergency_sync()? Or at least all that are backed by a real
device? The test for IDE and SCSI majors seems bogus to me. What
about DASD? LVM? EVMS? MD? Loop? NBD? DRBD? What's the rationale
of restricting the sync to only IDE and SCSI? Deadlock avoidance?

> I hope I found all of them which matter. Also, I think nobody
> uses min_major/max_major, do you guys know if that's right?

It's right. Kill them! I killed them as well in my patch.

> More comments?

I'm gonna post my patches tomorrow ...

Regards,
--
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.087 / U:0.280 seconds]