    SubjectRe: [2.6] Most likely to be merged by Halloween... THE LIST
    On Monday 22 July 2002 12:23, Joe Thornber wrote:
    > It would be good if other volume managers embrace device-mapper
    > allowing us to work together on the kernel side, and compete in
    > userland. Kernel development takes *far* too much manpower for us to
    > be duplicating work.

    Competition has its own benefits.

    > For example I released the LVM2 vs EVMS snapshot
    > benchmarks in the hope of encouraging EVMS to move over to
    > device-mapper, unfortunately 2 months later a reply is posted stating
    > that they have now developed equivalent (but broken) code :(

    Supposing both device-mapper and (the kernel part of) EVMS get into the tree,
    there's nothing stopping you from submitting a patch to make EVMS use
    device-mapper. If there's already equivalent code in EVMS, that just makes
    the job easier.

    I'm firmly in the 'we need both' camp.

    EVMS is a full-bloated^W blown enterprise solution, ready to go with every
    imaginable bell and whistle. Device-mapper represents the classic Linux
    minimalist approach. Hopefully, with the two side-by-side in the tree, both
    will evolve more rapidly.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.021 / U:16.840 seconds]