    SubjectRe: Alright, I give up. What does the "i" in "inode" stand for?
    Date
    On Friday 19 July 2002 01:40 am, Thunder from the hill wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Rob Landley wrote:
    > > That's it, I'm going to go email Dennis Richie...
    >
    > If you want to be sure whether or not you can rely on index, you better go
    > ask Maurice. I know another person who should have known that, but he's
    > dead for quite long now. I never cared, unfortunately.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Thunder

    I emailed dmr but don't expect to hear from him before moring if he actually
    notices my email at all.

    I did track down my copy of The design of the unix operating system and sure
    enough, on page 22, in section 2.2.1 (an overview of the file subsystem):

    "The term inode is a contraction of the term <i>index node</i> and is
    commonly used in literature on the UNIX system."

    That's probably good enough for me, actually. Now my NEXT unanswered
    question is why the heck Darpa's "Information Awareness Office" has a picture
    of the Bavarian Illuminati in its logo, but I doubt that's something this
    list can help me with. Me, I would have picked the gnomes of zurich. Or the
    UFOs, for the second attack. Or in the expansion pack, The Networks, since
    transferrable power is so useful anyway...

    (P.S. I'm not quite kidding: http://www.darpa.mil/iao/ ).

    Rob

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.032 / U:0.332 seconds]