    SubjectRe: [patch 2/9] 2.5.6 lm_sensors
    On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:

    > Em Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 03:07:57AM +0100, Alan Cox escreveu:
    > > On Fri, 2002-07-19 at 15:06, Albert Cranford wrote:
    > > > Hello Linus,
    > > > The i2c & lm_sensors group would like to submit these 9
    > > > patches from our stable 2.6.3 package.
    > >
    > > Does this stuff still destroy thinkpads so badly they have to go back to
    > > ibm for a non warranty repair ? Nobody seems willing to provide straight
    > > answers, and I think they must be addressed before we merge such code
    > Is there any other machine that is known to get fubar when using this code?
    > Perhaps a THINKPAD_SUPPORT in "Processor Types and Features", like there is
    > already for Toshiba and Dell laptops, that would disable the lm_sensors code,
    > and besides I think that this code should be marked EXPERIMENTAL, so that
    > users would be warned about these problems.

    Anything short of "Destroy my precious Thinkpad? [y/N]" probably is
    insufficient. Frankly, I don't think even that's enough. Once this is
    mainlined, someone will want to build a kitchen sink distro kernel with
    sensor support and if the code itself isn't autodetecting whether it's on
    a problematic platform, it won't be long before someone boots their
    Thinkpad off a friend's CDR and toasts it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:0.164 seconds]