    SubjectRe: [linux-lvm] Re: [Announce] device-mapper beta3 (fast snapshots)

    On Tue, Jul 16, 2002 at 11:05:49AM -0500, Andrew Theurer wrote:
    > at 32k all the time? That would explain why these results are flat, while I
    > am getting a wider range.

    I think this is a red herring, the chunk size code did accidentally
    get backed out of CVS for a while. But variable chunk sizes were
    certainly going into the kernel when we did the development.

    > Joe, are you absolutely sure these tests had the disk cache disabled? That's
    > the only hardware thing I can think of that would make a difference.

    Absolutely sure. Those figures were for a pair of PVs that were
    sharing an IDE cable so I can certainly get things moving faster.

    > It seems we can go 'round and 'round to no end, as long as we have HW
    > differences, so I have asked for use on a OSDL system we can both run on.
    > This way there is no difference in our HW. I'll let you know when I hear
    > back from them, so we can both test on the same system (if you want to).

    Excellent idea, we should probably think up some better benchmarks too.

    - Joe

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.025 / U:0.648 seconds]