SubjectRe: Mount corrupts an ext2 filesystem on a RAM disk
>It also works okay here. Maybe, just maybe, you booted with initrd,
>but did't unmount it before you started mucking with it `umount /initrd`
>in the script below.

I retested the ramdisk without executing the initial umount
instructions you proposed and saw the problem as I expected, but when
I first ran your umount instructions and then tested again, the fsck
problem didn't show up!

I tested this on all three of my boxes and they all behave the same.

So I guess this means there is a problem somewhere else, but I don't know what:

1) initrd really had still been mounted though df does not detect it.

2) there is no ghost initrd mounted, but merely executing bogus
umount instructions in some unknown way prevents the problem.

If it is the first one, there are two questions: why is initrd not
getting unmounted and why doesn't it show up in df?
If it is the second one, then what could be going on?
--

Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@aecom.yu.edu