SubjectRe: Tyan s2466 stability
On Tue, 16 Jul 2002, SCoTT SMeDLeY wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm considering investing in a dual-AMD system using Tyan's s2466
> motherboard. I'm interested in hearing how others have found the
> stability of this board using recent 2.4.x kernels.
>
> I've scanned the archives & there doesn't appear to be any reports
> on problems with this board, so I guess I'm hoping to hear some
> positive reports ...
>
> I'm also interested in hearing reports about how the board performs
> with with non-ECC (non-registered) RAM as the board has been
> documented to work with such an arrangement. I'm happy to fork
> out for ECC RAM, but is it worth it?
>
> Please reply to: ss@aao.gov.au

We got one here about two weeks ago. It had 2 AMD processors plus
2 'sticks' of RAM (Don't know how much). It was originally tested
on an IDE drive booting Windows/2000. It worked, but a CPU had to
be removed because W$ trashes drives when using two CPUs.

I got to play with it for an hour. I put one of my BusLogic SCSI
controllers in one of the 33MHz slots and booted Linux off an existing
SCSI drive. It did not run long before crashing (I booted a SMP
kernel). Again, I booted it with only one CPU and it did not crash.

I don't know if it's an AMD problem or a Motherboard problem. Perhaps
AMD processors don't work well in SMP, I've always used Intel with
success.

Nevertheless, I was entirely unimpressed with this "MPX" board. It
didn't have built-in SCSI like older Tyan boards that I currently use
and it didn't work very well. My AGP graphics card (G-Force) didn't
work either (in graphics) although I'm told that 'newer' ones do.

It is also kinda expensive (over US$200).

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Windows-2000/Professional isn't.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.230 / U:0.132 seconds]