SubjectRe: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5

>From: Richard Zidlicky <Richard.Zidlicky@stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de>

>> >There is another problem, with your scsi transport library you
>> >are bypassing normal Linux devices. Try
>> > mount /dev/scd0 /mnt
>> > cdrecord -dev 0,0,0 -blank=fast
>> > ls -al /mnt
>>
>> >Nice? It certainly isn't the fault of Linux if you choose to
>> >bypass normal device usage and it can be very annoying not
>> >only for beginners.
>>
>> It is not a fault of cdrecord either.

>A cure would be nice and I don't see what the kernel could do
>to solve this problem as long as cdrecord insists on talking
>to the SCSI bus directly.

>If nothing else, cdrecord manpage
> - should make a big fat warning about it
> - should stop claiming that it is safe to suid cdrecord

>The potential for breakage is huge, people run automounters on CD's,
>file managers may try to mount the CD without asking the user.

The bad news is that it seems that the automounters are part of the GUIs and
not well enough documented. There should be:

- Something like the Solaris volume manager that is part of the base OS
and kernel folks should forbid GUI folks to add such tasks to the GUI

- The volume manager should have a documented interface that allows
programs like e.g. cdrecord to gain exclusive access to a CD drive.

Then the problem above could be solved.

Jörg

js@cs.tu-berlin.de (uni) If you don't have iso-8859-1
schilling@fokus.gmd.de (work) chars I am J"org Schilling

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.056 / U:1.136 seconds]