    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Ext3 vs Reiserfs benchmarks
    On Mon, 2002-07-15 at 21:55, Matthias Andree wrote:
    > I assume that most will just call close() or fclose() and exit() right
    > away. Does fclose() imply fsync()?

    It doesn't.

    > Some applications will not even check the [f]close() return value...

    We are only interested in reliable code. Anything else is already
    fatally broken.

    -- quote --
    Not checking the return value of close is a common but
    nevertheless serious programming error. File system
    implementations which use techniques as ``write-behind''
    to increase performance may lead to write(2) succeeding,
    although the data has not been written yet. The error
    status may be reported at a later write operation, but it
    is guaranteed to be reported on closing the file. Not
    checking the return value when closing the file may lead
    to silent loss of data. This can especially be observed
    with NFS and disk quotas.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.034 / U:88.568 seconds]