SubjectRe: Killing/removing defunct processes?
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk <roy@karlsbakk.net> writes:

> hi all
Hi Roy,

> How can I kill/remove a defunct process (trying to read on from a
> chrashed NFS server) without rebooting? It really should be some
> sort of hack (extra kill argument?) to do this.

From nfs(5), mount options:

hard If an NFS file operation has a major timeout then report
"server not responding" on the console and continue
retrying indefinitely. This is the default.

intr If an NFS file operation has a major timeout and it is hard
mounted, then allow signals to interupt the file operation
and cause it to return EINTR to the calling program. The
default is to not allow file operations to be interrupted.

You want both these options when mounting. It might be possible to do a
"mount -o remount,intr /hung/nfs/mount" and then kill, but I'm not sure.

--
ilmari