    SubjectRe: [patch[ Simple Topology API

    Chris Friesen wrote:

    >> Beyond 8-way, you need glue logic (hypertransport switches?) and
    >> latency seems bound to become an issue.

    >Nope. Just extend the ladder. Each cpu talks to three other entities,
    >either cpu or I/O. Can be extended arbitrarily until latencies are too
    >high.

    You seem to be missing one critical piece from the OLS talk. The HT
    protocol (or something related) can't handle more than 8 CPU's in a single
    configuration. You need to have some kind of bridge to connect
    more than 8CPU's together, although systems with more than 8 CPU's have
    not been discussed officially anywhere, afaik.

    8 CPU's and less belongs to the SUMO category (Sufficiently Uniform Memory
    Organization, apparently new AMD terminology) whereas 9 CPU's and more is
    likely to be NUMA.

    --
    Jukka Honkela