    SubjectRe: Removal of pci_find_* in 2.5
    Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> writes:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Well, I've been trying to figure out a way to remove the existing
    > pci_find_device(), and other pci_find_* functions from the 2.5 kernel
    > without hurting to many things (well, things that people care about.)
    >
    > Turns out these are very useful functions, outside of the "old" pci
    > framework, and I can't really justify removing them, so they are staying
    > for now (or until someone else can think of a replacement...)
    >
    > The main reason for wanting to do this, is that any PCI driver that
    > relies on using pci_find_* to locate a device to control, will not work
    > with the existing PCI hotplug code. Moving forward, those drivers will
    > also not work with the driverfs, struct driver, or the device naming
    > code.
    >
    > So if you own a PCI driver that does not conform to the "new" PCI api
    > (using pci_register_driver() and friends) consider yourself warned.
    > Your driver will NOT inherit any of the upcoming changes to the drivers
    > tree, which might cause them to break. Also remember, all of the people
    > that are buying hotplug PCI systems for their datacenters will not buy
    > your cards :)

    I do but it only doesn't use pci_register_driver because that doesn't
    work.

    The driver is a mtd map driver. It knows there is a rom chip behind
    a pci->isa bridge. And it needs to find the pci->isa bridge to
    properly set it up to access the rom chip (enable writes and the
    like).

    It isn't a driver for the pci->isa bridge, (I'm not even certain we
    have a good model for that). So it does not use pci_register_driver.

    If you can give me a good proposal for how to accomplish that kind of
    functionality I would be happy to use the appropriate
    xxx_register_driver.

    Eric

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.029 / U:29.972 seconds]