SubjectRe: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5
On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 04:18:37PM +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> For a starter, it is easier to understand the SCSI concept of
> addressing than to understand the Linux concept. In addition,
> the SCSI addressing concept can be used on different platforms
> in a unique way. This helps people (and GUI writers) to use
> cdrecord on more than Linux only.

whether it is easier is matter of taste, however in a situation
where the kernel and 99% of other applications refer to something
as '/dev/scd0' I fail to see any benefit of having another scheme.
Do you want to suggest that all other Linux apps should now use
'-dev x,y,z' instead of normal device names?

There is another problem, with your scsi transport library you
are bypassing normal Linux devices. Try
mount /dev/scd0 /mnt
cdrecord -dev 0,0,0 -blank=fast
ls -al /mnt

Nice? It certainly isn't the fault of Linux if you choose to
bypass normal device usage and it can be very annoying not
only for beginners.

Richard

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.082 / U:0.160 seconds]