SubjectRe: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5
Date
> Because we can't tell Linux users "your (once favorite) CD-ROM is not
> implemented in Linux (any more), and will never ever be". If we explicitly
> exclude hardware, where do we end?!

Like other mainstream operating systems :-)

One thing that occurs to me, but that I don't necessarily think is a good idea, is that for a long time we had "old" IDE code and "new" IDE code in the kernel, and there is no reason why we couldn't do a similar thing, (I.E. have a "legacy devices will work" foo driver, and "legacy devices might break" foo driver). Personally I hate that idea, but maybe others will disagree. I'd rather support all hardware forever, because the whole point is that you can compile out what you don't want, and supporting it is not causing excessive bloat.

John.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.376 / U:0.420 seconds]