    SubjectRe: Removal of pci_find_* in 2.5
    On Sat, 2002-07-13 at 02:12, David S. Miller wrote:
    > From: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
    > Date: 13 Jul 2002 03:23:29 +0100
    >
    > I have several examples where the ordering of the PCI cards is critical
    > to get stuff like boot device and primary controller detection right.
    > pci_register_driver doesn't appear to have a good way to deal with this
    > or have I missed something ?
    >
    > Cards get registered in the order they appear on the bus, or at least
    > that is the way the algorithm worked the last time I looked.

    For most cards that is all that has to be turned from a "happens to
    work" into a "officially this is what happens". I've replied about how
    to handle other stuff in an earlier message. Its not a big thing, and
    getting rid of most of pci_find_device will help. We still have people
    needing to find other devices so there are refcount/locking things to
    handle akin to what was done to make the old networking dev_get() type
    stuff actually DTRT

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.027 / U:59.328 seconds]