> From: Alan Cox <>
> Date: 13 Jul 2002 03:23:29 +0100
> I have several examples where the ordering of the PCI cards is critical
> to get stuff like boot device and primary controller detection right.
> pci_register_driver doesn't appear to have a good way to deal with this
> or have I missed something ?
> Cards get registered in the order they appear on the bus, or at least
> that is the way the algorithm worked the last time I looked.

For most cards that is all that has to be turned from a "happens to
work" into a "officially this is what happens". I've replied about how
to handle other stuff in an earlier message. Its not a big thing, and
getting rid of most of pci_find_device will help. We still have people
needing to find other devices so there are refcount/locking things to
handle akin to what was done to make the old networking dev_get() type
stuff actually DTRT