    SubjectRe: IDE/ATAPI in 2.5
    Użytkownik H. Peter Anvin napisał:
    > Okay, I have suggested this before, and I haven't quite looked at this
    > in detail, but I would again like to consider the following,
    > especially given the changes in 2.5:
    > Please consider deprecating or removing ide-floppy/ide-tape/ide-cdrom
    > and treat all ATAPI devices as what they really are -- SCSI over IDE.
    > It is a source of no ending confusion that a Linux system will not
    > write CDs to an IDE CD-writer out of the box, for the simple reason
    > that cdrecord needs access to the generic packet interface, which is
    > only available in the nonstandard ide-scsi configuration.
    > There really seems to be no decent reason to treat ATAPI devices as
    > anything else. I understand the ide-* drivers contain some
    > workarounds for specific devices, but those really should be moved to
    > their respective SCSI drivers anyway -- after all, manufacturers
    > readily slap IDE or SCSI interfaces on the same devices anyway.
    > Note that this is specific to ATAPI devices. ATA hard drives are
    > another matter entirely.

    Right now the "votes" go like the following:

    In favour of the scrap:

    1. HPA.
    2. Adam J. Richter.
    3. Marcin Dalecki (basically due to give up on the idea
    of gradual unification).

    1. Bartłomiej Żołnierkiewcz.

    I think we will need a vote from the "great decission maker".

    So Linus what's your opinnion please?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.022 / U:60.736 seconds]