    SubjectRe: bzip2 patent status query
    Date
    Rik van Riel wrote on Wednesday, July 10:
    > As long as bitflipping and xor are patented, I guess there
    > must be _something_ covering bzip2 ;)

    Perhaps it is so, even the author does not know it exactly (but why doesn't
    even he know it?).
    Bzip2 is included in nearly every distribution I know. BUT, if there would
    be a patent on bzip2, I think there would have been somebody already who
    sued at least all bigger distributions. If I were the one having a patent on
    bzip2, or only parts of it, I would not have let the chance to get rich go
    by.

    Have fun.

    - Christian

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.021 / U:67.808 seconds]