    SubjectRe: Rusty's module talk at the Kernel Summit
    I checked out the sparc64 PTE structure.  It's not a bozo-design which I
    thought it was (like some PPC's). If you can select powers of 2 sizes my
    concern is meaningless there since you can pick the appropriate
    granularity.

    A genuine Bershad-esque superpages design would be perfect there.

    } Large PTE's aren't free either, though. Cheap enough to implement but
    } there's some fragmentation that isn't easy to deal with in some
    } pathological cases. The virtual space is pretty tight on some archs
    } already.
    }
    } A lot of stock distributions load most drivers as modules so a machine well
    } stocked with devices may run into trouble.
    }
    } } Modules can be mapped using a large PTE mapping.
    } } I've been meaning to do this on sparc64 for a long
    } } time.
    } }
    } } So this TLB argument alone is not sufficient :-)
    } } I do concur on the "ipv4 as module is difficult to
    } } get correct" argument however.
    } } -
    } } To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    } } the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    } } More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    } } Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/
    } -
    } To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    } the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
    } More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
    } Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.023 / U:61.876 seconds]