SubjectRe: [STATUS 2.5] July 10, 2002
On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 13:20, Cort Dougan wrote:

> Why was the rate incremented to maintain interactive performance? Wasn't
> that the whole idea of the pre-empt work? Does the burden of pre-empt
> actually require this?

I did not say it was increased to improve interactivity response - and
it certainly has little or nothing to do with kernel preemption being

I suspect a big benefit would be poll/select performance. I think this
is why RedHat increased HZ in their kernels.

You would have to ask Linus exactly what his intentions were.

> It seems that the added inefficiency of these extra interrupts is going to
> drag performance down.

Robert Love