SubjectRe: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

David S. Miller wrote:

> From: Ben Greear <>
> Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2002 17:13:35 -0700
> If you're talking per-socket SNMP counters, then that could work.
> General protocol-wide counters would not help much, at least
> in my case.
> Why not? If you know where the drops are occurring, what else
> do you need to know?

I need to account for packets on a per-session basis, where a
session endpoint is a UDP port. So, knowing global protocol numbers is
good, but it is not very useful for the detailed accounting I
need. I could also use per-socket TCP counters, like re-transmits,
etc. I have not looked to see if they are already there
or not...

Ben Greear <> <Ben_Greear AT>
President of Candela Technologies Inc