SubjectRe: Memory management in Kernel 2.4.x
On 27 May 2002, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-05-27 at 22:22, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
<_snip_>
> > Well, if you can't fork a new process because that would push you into
> > overcommit, then you usually can't actually do anything useful on the
> > machine.
>
> Thats actually easy to deal with and on my list for modes 4 and 5 (2 and
> 3 with root granted a reserved fraction)

It seems to me that selectively limiting the number of processes in a
pgroup, or selectively killing large RSS programs in a large pgroup
(non-root) would be one way to identify the processes which were either
clone/fork looping, or have children begetting children. After than
perhaps killing or restricting from the high numerical uid down. That
might tend to spare system and/or well-behaved processes.

Comment?

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
CTO, TMR Associates, Inc