SubjectRe: Max groups at 32?
On Mon, 3 Jun 2002, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Austin Gonyou wrote:
>
> >I'm not sure if this is a Linux capabilities problem, a PAM problem, or
> >what, but I've noticed that If I add a user to > 32 groups...that user
> >cannot access anything in a directory owned by a group > the 32nd group.
> >

> Yes. It's a hardcoded limit that requires a recompile of both the
> kernel and glibc to change.

Few months ago was release by me shadow package with some neccessary
for this changes. From http://shadow.pld.org.pl/ChangeLog:

2001-09-01 Tomasz Kłoczko <kloczek@pld.org.pl>

* src/groups.c, src/id.c, src/newgrp.c, src/useradd.c, src/usermod.c, libmisc/addgrps.c, NEWS:
remove limit 32 to groups per user (the same user can belong to
more than 32 groups) by use sysconf(_SC_NGROUPS_MAX) instead constant
NGROUPS_MAX (patch by Radu Constantin Rendec <radu.rendec@ines.ro>)
NOTE: it probably need testing on other system for add some conditionals
for using sysconf(_SC_NGROUPS_MAX) or NGROUPS_MAX constant.

Some other fixes for correct displaing/handling 32bit uid/gid was after
above prepared by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> and me and all was
integrated in shadow source tree. All is avalable in latest shadow 4.0.3.

kloczek