    SubjectRe: [patch 12/16] fix race between writeback and unlink
    Linus Torvalds wrote:

    > I'd still love to see a "fast and slightly stupid" allocator for both
    > blocks and inodes, and have some infrastructure to do run-time defragging
    > in the background.

    I think runtime defrag could yield really good benefits. In
    particular it would allow us to find_group_dir(), and always
    put directories in the same blockgroup as their parent (big
    speedups for the `untar-a-kernel-tree' workload).

    There's a patch at
    http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/2.4/2.4.19-pre10/ext3-reloc-page.patch
    which provides a simple `relocate page' ioctl for ext3 files. It
    relocates a page's blocks. The operation is fully journalled and
    pagecache-coherent. So you can turn off the power in the middle
    of a defrag operation and the fs will come back just fine. It doesn't
    make any attempt to relocate inodes. If the page relocation attempt fails
    then it just returns -EAGAIN and userspace gets to worry about what
    to do.

    I simply have not had the time to do anything about the userspace
    program which drives that ioctl. So if there's anyone out there
    who has a little time on their hands...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.024 / U:30.660 seconds]