SubjectRe: RAID-6 support in kernel?
Allan Sandfeld wrote:

> > > Might be the diagram is wrong.
> >
> > Could be the case, so until I find another description I will
> > still not know how RAID-6 works.
> >
> It's not just the diagram, the theory is wrong. You need to use at least log2
> n+1 disks for partition if you want to handle any two lost/borked disks. (16
> disks would give 11x diskspace).

But there are other encodings with 2 extra disks that can
handle 2 lost disks. And in general if you need x disks of
space and the ability to recover from y lost disks you can
do the encoding on x+y disks.

Knowing that why do we even consider RAID-6? I guess RAID-6
is a lot faster, is that true?

--
Kasper Dupont -- der bruger for meget tid på usenet.
For sending spam use mailto:razor-report@daimi.au.dk