SubjectRe: max_scsi_luns and 2.4.19-pre10.
Hi Austin,

enough guesses have been there not answering your questions ...

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 07:46:25PM -0500, Austin Gonyou wrote:
> This originally was asking for help regarding QLA2200's, but I've since
> discovered it's a kernel param problem that I'm not sure how to solve.
>
> Using a default RH kernel (from SGI XFS installer) and passing
> max_scsi_luns=128 in grub, and for scsi_mod, it seems to work.

In 2.4.19pre1 a patch was merged into mainline which introduced a flag
BLIST_LARGELUN and set it for EMC Symmetrix devices. Some distributors
(incl. RH and SuSE) did ship kernels with this patch included.
http://van-dijk.net/linuxkernel/200206/0347.html
(An older patch for 2.4.16 exists as well.)

The flag does allow a device to use more than 8 LUNs despite it reporting
as SCSI Version 2 devices (which can not support more than 8 LUNs normally
...)
The flag also needs to be set for some more devices, look for DGC, DELL, CMD
and CNSi/CNSI devices that already have the BLIST_SPARSELUN flag.

But as you did not post the output of /proc/scsi/scsi nor the syslog
meesages from your SCSI subsystem nobody knows what devices you're using or
what actually happens. Just speculations ...

PS: The better list for such questions is linux-scsi@vger.kernel.org

Regards,
--
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> Eindhoven, NL
GPG key: See mail header, key servers Linux kernel development

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:27    [W:0.062 / U:0.552 seconds]