SubjectRe: build failure for 2.5.24-dj1
On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 01:43:32PM +0200, Rudmer van Dijk wrote:

> upon inspection I found that with 'make mrproper' drivers/char/defkeymap.c
> is removed which it did not do in earlier kernels.
> on my system 'loadkeys' is not installed because i did not have the kdb
> package installed (I did not need it). looking in Documentation/Changes of
> 2.5.24-dj1 I could not find any reference to kdb so I think it should be
> added in the list of neccesary software since it is now!
>
> Rudmer
>
> +o kdb 1.06 # loadkeys --version

(i) It is a bug to regard drivers/char/defkeymap.c as a generated file.
Every now and then something is changed (sticky keys were added, etc)
and a new table can only be generated by a new loadkeys.

So, the person who makes the change changes the kernel headers in his
own tree, recompiles loadkeys against these new headers, generates
the new defkeymap.c. This new defkeymap.c is distributed as part of
the kernel source.

It will take a long time before the whole world has a new loadkeys,
so it is unreasonable to expect that everybody can generate defkeymap.c
when there have been changes.

(ii) kdb: kernel debugger; kbd: keyboard utilities.

Andries

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.042 / U:0.352 seconds]