SubjectRe: 2.2 and 2.4 performance issues
On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 05:55:55PM +0100, Luis Pedro de Moura Ribeiro Pinto wrote:
> I was asked (i'm a company freshman) to perform some tests between
> kernel versions 2.2 and 2.4, and after awhile searching i found a good
> set of benchmarking tools (aim7) from Caldera linux.

Benchmarks are evil. Sure they are useful at times, but for the most
part they get misused. IMHO, aim7 is outdated. The I/O it does it all
very small for today's systems. It's like poking the system with
hundreds of needles. You have no idea how the system will react to a
golf club, baseball bat, sledgehammer or a wet noodle. Sure, some
people really like it and swear by it. Benchmarking is better done with
an application set in mind and best done with the application set
itself.

> Are there better way to perform the test besides using benchmark tools
> like this?

Run the applications you really care about. There is also a good set of
benchmarks, including application specific ones at
http://lbs.sourceforge.net/.

--
Nate Straz nstraz@sgi.com
sgi, inc http://www.sgi.com/