SubjectRe: latest linus-2.5 BK broken
On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 10:50, Larry McVoy wrote:

> The real point is that multi threading screws up your kernel. All the Linux
> hackers are going through the learning curve on threading and think I'm an
> alarmist or a nut. After Linux works on a 64 way box, I suspect that the
> majority of them will secretly admit that threading does screw up the kernel
> but at that point it's far too late.

Larry, this is a point you have made several times and admittedly one I
agree with. I fail to see how the high-end scaling will not compromise
the low-end and I am genuinely concerned Linux will become Solaris.

I do not know what to do to prevent it - and I am certainly not saying
we should outright prevent certain things, but it worries me. You are
going to be in Ottawa next week? Maybe we can talk about it...

Robert Love

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.137 / U:0.216 seconds]