    SubjectRe: ptrace vs /proc
    > Linux already posesses modular support for a /proc filesystem, every distribution, and I believe the stock kernel config includes support for this under the filesystems section by default.

    I should have been clearer. I would like to know about the features ptrace
    supports like "system call tracing", "setting breakpoints" etc.
    Traditionally they were done through ptrace interface. In solaris and I
    guess in other operating systems like IRIX, they are moved to /proc
    interface. Applications wanting to trace programs like gdb, would use
    ioctl on the /proc/<pid> and trace the programs.

    As far as I could investigate, I didn't find any such interface in linux.
    Programs like strace do the tracing through ptrace only.

    Please let me know if you know more about this.

    --pradeep

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.020 / U:212.540 seconds]