    SubjectRe: "laptop mode" for floppies too?
    On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 02:34:12PM +0200, Marek Michalkiewicz wrote:

    > And, that would be a global sync() not per-device - looks like a hack
    > to me.

    You can also fsync() block devices to write out the buffers attached to
    it. Slightly less of a hack that way.

    > The floppy driver itself controls the motor, so could also somehow
    > tell the kernel to write back all dirty data just before spinning down.
    > IDE disks can spin down automatically after some idle time, but perhaps
    > it would be more efficient if Linux could do that in software instead -
    > tell the disk to go to sleep ("hdparm -y") if it has not been accessed
    > for too long, but write all dirty data first (without resetting the idle
    > timer - possible now that the timer is ours and not in the disk).

    Have a look at noflushd (available via sourceforge). Never used it with
    floppy disks, I admit, but the changes should be straightforward.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.027 / U:55.368 seconds]