SubjectRe: Need help tracing regular write activity in 5 s interval

> So: is there any trace software that can tell me "at 15:52:43.012345,
> process 4321 marked 7 blocks dirty on device /dev/hda5" (or even more
> detail so I can figure if it's just an atime update -- as with svscan --
> or a write access)? And that is NOT to be attached to a specific process
> (hint: strace is not an option).

Problem: we'd have to do that using printk. printk issues another write
call, which will mark things dirty. Issued is another printk, which marks
things dirty and issues another printk...

I suppose one write would become looped here?

ship is leaving right on time | Thunder from the hill at ngforever
empty harbour, wave goodbye |
evacuation of the isle | free inhabitant not directly
caveman's paintings drowning | belonging anywhere