    SubjectRAID-6 support in kernel?
    hi all

    I'n working on server setup with some 16 disks in RAID-5; one of them a
    spare. After a little reading, I find myself longing for support for
    RAID-6 support in kernel, giving the opportunity to allow for two failed
    drives without a chrash (see links about RAID-6 below if interested).

    I am aware of that not all kernel hackers like such configurations, and
    that some will rather see small RAID-configurations connected with VLM.
    I beleive there is a reason for using RAID-6, and RAID-controller vendors
    (such as Compaq) are already using them, so why shouldn't linux do so
    also? With a high number of cheap IDE drives, the chance of one failing is
    quite high, so why not RAID-6? At least for a system doing most reads...

    thanks

    roy

    RAID-6 layout: http://www.acnc.com/04_01_06.html

    --