    SubjectRe: latest linus-2.5 BK broken
    On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Cort Dougan wrote:
    > I agree with you there. It's not easy, and I'd claim it's not possible
    > given that no-one has done it yet, to have a select() call that is speedy
    > for both 0-10 and 1k file descriptors.

    Actually, select() scales a lot better than poll() for _dense_ bitmaps.

    The problem with non-scalability ends up being either sparse bitmaps
    (minor problem, poll() can help) or just the work involved in watching a
    large number of fd's (major problem, but totally unrelated to the bitmap
    itself, and poll() usually makes it worse thanks to more data to be

    Anyway, I was talking about the scalability of the _data_structure_, not
    the scalability performance-wise. Performance scalability is a non-issue
    for something like setaffinity(), since it's just not called at any rate
    approaching poll.

    >From a data structure standpoint, bitmaps are clearly the simplest dense
    representation, and scale perfectly well to any reasonable number of

    If we end up using a default of 1024, maybe you'll have to recompile that
    part of the system that has anything to do with CPU affinity in about
    10-20 years by just upping the number a bit. Quite frankly, that's going
    to be the _least_ of the issues.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.029 / U:0.824 seconds]