    SubjectToshiba PCToPIC97 PC Card freeze in 2.4.18
    All:

    I'm at my wit's end. I have a Toshiba Satellite 2545XCDT which has a PC
    Card adapter. I have been happily running this laptop with a 2.2.16 kernel
    without problem. Today, when trying to upgrade to a 20GB hard disk and a
    2.4.18 kernel, the box would freeze when trying to start the PCMCIA
    service. Here is the message that I get on the screen:

    PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin A of device 00:13:0. Please try using
    pci=biosirq
    PCI: No IRQ known for interrupt pin B of device 00:13.0. Please try using
    pci=biosirq
    Yenta IRQ list 06b8 PCI irq 0
    Socket status: 30000007

    and the system is completely frozen at that point -- even CTRL-ALT-DEL
    doesn't work. (The soft power switch does, which tells me that NMI
    interrupts get through, but nothing else.) As you might guess, SysRq
    didn't work, either. Only powering off would allow me to restart the system.

    When I recompile the kernel to not make PCMCIA a module, there is NO
    message, just the system freeze.

    Nothing interesting shows up in syslog.

    Probing the /proc filesystem, I find that under 2.2.16 there is a character
    device 254 labeled PCMCIA; in the 2.4.18 kernel I see no device 254 or any
    device with the label PCMCIA. Granted, in the case of 2.2.16 the various
    modules successfully loaded, so they may have advertised device 254,
    whereas on the 2.4.18 kernel the failure kept the device from being advertised.

    Dumping /proc/pci, I see device 19 (0x13) listed but completely different
    capabilities advertised. Under 2.2.16, I see "Slow devsel. Fast
    back-to-back capable. Master Capable. No bursts. Min Gnt=128.Max
    lat=4." The same device under 2.4.18 reports "Non-prefetchable 32 bit
    memory at 0x100000000 [0x100000fff]." Other PCI devices have reports that
    differ in format but not significantly in the amount of and values in content.

    I even went so far as to download the latest version
    (pcmcia-cs-3.1.34.tar.gz) of the PCMCIA stuff from SourceForge, compiled it
    all, and ended up with exactly the same results. So I'm beginning to
    believe that it's not the PCMCIA/PCCard software.

    I checked the kernel archives for any mention of this problem, and the
    closest I could find was a complaint regarding an IBM ThinkPad. Ditto
    checking the bug list for the project on SourceForge. Nothing on Toshiba

    I put the old hard drive back into the laptop so I can get some work done,
    but I still have all the stuff on the new drive.

    The distributions involved are Red Hat 7.0 and Red Hat 7.3.

    Where to "try using pci=biosirq"? I tried adding it to the boot sequence,
    with no result.

    I'm stumped. Any suggestions where to start looking?

    Stephen Satchell

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.031 / U:0.300 seconds]