    SubjectRe: 2.5.20 - Xircom PCI Cardbus doesn't work
    Hi,

    On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 06:25:15PM -0500, Kai Germaschewski wrote:
    > We only request the regions we're going to use, so the others may even
    > stay unassigned and disabled.
    [...]
    > These functions return directly what we need: an address for
    > in/out[bwl], a cookie for read/write[bwl] - well, and the irq
    > which however is only for informational purposes.

    I like it!

    This also allows us to remove the anal checking & cleanup
    duplicated in each and every driver to be removed.

    So your solution will save lots of code at least in all PCI-only
    drivers.

    I even wrote my own routine that does exactly that, to save the code.

    Some people can not use pci_enable_resources(), because sometimes
    one of the resources is a PCI-Interface chip, that has a
    different driver, which enabled one resource already itself.

    So splitting this out alone is already a win.

    Regards

    Ingo Oeser
    --
    Science is what we can tell a computer. Art is everything else. --- D.E.Knuth