SubjectRe: computer reboots before "Uncompressing Linux..." with 2.5.19-xfs
Date
No, the CPU was correct.
However, now I am uncertain as to WHAT was wrong with my configuration since
the CPU was correct. Like I stated before, eventually I just hacked a stock
RedHat kernel and in the CPU section of the configuration, I just left their
selections alone. Well, if what you say is true, then I don't know WHAT the
fixed actually was, but I haven't had a bad reboot on any of my kernel
compiles since then (well, I did have 1 - but that's out of about 20
compile's and reboot's i've done since then). If you find out the problem,
please put it on the LKML so i'll know what fixed it.

Cheer,
J.S.Souza

On Wednesday 12 June 2002 07:33 am, you wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, J.S.Souza wrote:
> > I had the exact same problem and few were able to help. However, here's
> > what I found was _my_ problem. I wasn't enabling the x86 options in the
> > kernel (duh!). Make sure that when you compile, you enable "Intel IA32
> > CPU Microcode Support" and "Model Specific Register Support". What I
> > ended up doing was taking a stock RedHat .config file for i386 and
> > looking at what they did for their options and started to delete things
> > from there that I don't use or need. Eventually, I just learned what was
> > necessary for a basic i386 kernel. Although I was compiling for 2.4.17
> > kernel. Good luck, hope this was of some help.
>
> Interesting, but i can't see how that could have fixed your problem. MSR
> support is allowing MSR frobbing in user space and microcode stuff is
> update from userland too. Which also happens much later in boot.
>
> Incorrect CPU perhaps?
>
> Regards,
> Zwane

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.075 / U:0.012 seconds]