SubjectRe: RFC: per-socket statistics on received/dropped packets

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Lincoln Dale wrote:

> At 08:11 AM 12/06/2002 -0400, Horst von Brand wrote:
> >General dislike for adding features of _extremely_ limited (debugging!) use?
>
> i would imagine that every installation of Squid on linux is interested in
> having _realistic transaction logs_ of exactly how much data was received
> and transmitted on a TCP connection.
>
> i know of many many folk who use transaction logs from HTTP caches for
> volume-based billing.
> right now, those bills are anywhere between 10% to 25% incorrect.
>
> you call that "extremely limited"?

Surely, you must have better ways to do accounting than this -- otherwise
you deserve to loose money.

> of course, i am doing exactly what Dave said to do -- maintaining my own
> out-of-kernel patch -- but its a pain, i'm sure it will soon conflict with
> stuff and is a damn shame - it isn't much code, but Dave seems pretty
> steadfast that he isn't interested.

You havent proven why its needed. And from the looks of it you dont even
need it. If 3 people need it, then i would like to ask we add lawn mower
support that my relatives have been asking for the last 5 years.

cheers,
jamal

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.086 / U:8.984 seconds]