    SubjectRe: Kernel compile quiet mode

    [Answered a follow-up mail and didn't realize that l-k was CC'ed in
    the first one, so here's my reply again.]

    >From kai-germaschewski@uiowa.edu Sat Jun 1 02:30:31 2002
    Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2002 02:27:48 -0500 (CDT)
    From: Kai Germaschewski <kai-germaschewski@uiowa.edu>
    To: Kevin O'Connor <kevin@koconnor.net>
    Subject: Re: Kernel compile quiet mode

    On Fri, 31 May 2002, Kevin O'Connor wrote:

    > > gcc $CFLAGS -DKBUILD_BASENAME=raw -c -o raw.o raw.c
    > > gcc $CFLAGS -DKBUILD_BASENAME=pty -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c -o pty.o pty.c
    > > gcc $CFLAGS -DKBUILD_BASENAME=misc -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c -o misc.o misc.c
    > > gcc $CFLAGS -DKBUILD_BASENAME=random -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c -o random.o random.c
    > > gcc $CFLAGS -DKBUILD_BASENAME=vt -c -o vt.o vt.c
    > > gcc $CFLAGS -DKBUILD_BASENAME=vc_screen -c -o vc_screen.o vc_screen.c

    Not bad, I suppose different people prefer different approaches, anyway.
    There is, however, still redundant output there, the "-o vt.o" and
    "KBUILD_BASENAME=vt" should go away as well too, IMO.

    Anyway, I'll be out of town for a couple of days, if you want to see what
    I'm up to, take a look at linux-isdn.bkbits.net, linux-2.5.make and
    linux-2.5.make-new - What I'm doing for the quiet output is pretty
    flexible, it can be easily adapted to things like the above.

    I'd surely appreciate if people wanted to test things, if you don't have
    bitkeeper but want to give it a shot, I can mail a patch.

    (For the visually most prominent change, add "quiet" to your make command
    line, or set KBUILD_QUIET=1 in the environment)

    --Kai

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:3.503 / U:0.384 seconds]