    SubjectRe: O(1) scheduler gives big boost to tbench 192
    On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 08:34, Jussi Laako wrote:

    > Mike Kravetz wrote:
    > >
    > > I'd really like to know if there are any real workloads that
    > > benefited from this feature, rather than just some benchmark.
    >
    > Maybe this is the reason why O(1) scheduler has big latencies with
    > pthread_cond_*() functions which original scheduler doesn't have?
    > I think I tracked the problem down to try_to_wake_up(), but I was unable to
    > fix it.

    Ah this could be the same case. I just looked into the definition of
    the conditional variable pthread stuff and it looks like it _could_ be
    implemented using pipes but I do not see why it would per se. If it
    does not use pipes, then this sync issue is not at hand (only the pipe
    code passed 1 for the sync flag).

    If it does not use pipes, we could have another problem - but I doubt
    it. Maybe the benchmark is just another case where it shows worse
    performance due to some attribute of the scheduler or load balancer?

    Robert Love

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.045 / U:157.188 seconds]