SubjectRe: Linux-2.5.14..
On Mon, 6 May 2002, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 6 May 2002, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>>
>> From the look of the changelog at least a few of the file corruption
>> bugs with ext3, 2k block file systems and 2.5 have been fixed. Should
>> I expect this release to address the problems I was seeing?
>
> "Expect" is too strong a word. I'd say "hope" - a number of truncate
> bugs were fixed, but whether that was what bit you, nobody knows.

Well, hope seems justified...

> I suspect the real answer is that we'd love for you to test things
> out, but that if it ends up being too painful to recover if the
> problems happen again, you probably shouldn't..

I did, and I failed to reproduce it working on a scratch disk. This was
a period of playing and I /hope/ that it's conclusive. I couldn't get
.12 to reliably fail, though, which is less inspiring.

I should be able to find some time in the next day or so to test it a
bit more on the scratch disk and then, if that works, I will update my
backups. :)

Still, it seems good so far.
Daniel

--
Television is the ideal propaganda medium, a mendacious monster, not primarily
out of malice but from its amoral nature.