SubjectRe: kbuild 2.5 is ready for inclusion in the 2.5 kernel
On Sun, 05 May 2002 17:02:30 -0700,
Dan Kegel <> wrote:
>BTW I'm looking at your kbuild 2.5 performance measurements at
>Looks like 9 seconds to rebuild the kernel after a small change
>on a quad 700MHz pentium, right? (Or does 'make phase4' not actually build?)

Those times are for the full timestamp, dependency and integrity
checking. phase4 does not build. Actual kernel build time depends on
what has changed, what needs to be rebuilt and whether you are
compressing the kernel.

>What would the time be on a dual pentium?

For phase1 through phase4, no difference, the startup code is almost
entirely sequential and uses one cpu. After phase4 and into the
compile steps, more processors are better.