SubjectRe: 2.5.13 IDE and preemptible kernel problems
Uz.ytkownik Linus Torvalds napisa?:
> On Fri, 3 May 2002, Martin Dalecki wrote:
>>Uz.ytkownik Andi Kleen napisa?:
>>>When booting an preemptible kernel 2.5.13 kernel on x86-64 I get
>>>very quickly an scheduling in interrupt BUG. It looks like the
>>>preempt_count becomes 0 inside the ATA interrupt handler. This
>>>could happen when save_flags/restore_flags and friends are unmatched
>>>and you have too many flags restores in IDE.
>>Thank you for pointing out. I will re check it.
> Martin, may I suggest that the next line of cleanups should be to remove
> all vestiges of the old global interrupt locking from the IDE driver?

Right agreed. I forgot that this is just presumably a "workaround
for borken hardware", which in fact is a long standing workarodund
for driver reentrancy problems.

> Including, for example, the crap "PCI method 1" access stuff in CMD640x..

Naj... I could try.

> Also, if you turn on spinlock debugging, that tends to help find the
> really silly things faster (leaving the harder races to be solved by
> brainforce ;)

Indeed... thank you for this hint.