    SubjectRe: 2.5.13 IDE and preemptible kernel problems
    Uz.ytkownik Linus Torvalds napisa?:
    > On Fri, 3 May 2002, Martin Dalecki wrote:
    >>Uz.ytkownik Andi Kleen napisa?:
    >>>When booting an preemptible kernel 2.5.13 kernel on x86-64 I get
    >>>very quickly an scheduling in interrupt BUG. It looks like the
    >>>preempt_count becomes 0 inside the ATA interrupt handler. This
    >>>could happen when save_flags/restore_flags and friends are unmatched
    >>>and you have too many flags restores in IDE.
    >>Thank you for pointing out. I will re check it.
    > Martin, may I suggest that the next line of cleanups should be to remove
    > all vestiges of the old global interrupt locking from the IDE driver?

    Right agreed. I forgot that this is just presumably a "workaround
    for borken hardware", which in fact is a long standing workarodund
    for driver reentrancy problems.

    > Including, for example, the crap "PCI method 1" access stuff in CMD640x..

    Naj... I could try.

    > Also, if you turn on spinlock debugging, that tends to help find the
    > really silly things faster (leaving the harder races to be solved by
    > brainforce ;)

    Indeed... thank you for this hint.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:25    [W:0.022 / U:24.544 seconds]