    SubjectRe: [patch 5/18] mark swapout pages PageWriteback()

    On Fri, 31 May 2002, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > In short the same way MAP_ANON must pageout correctly, also MAP_SHARED
    > must swapout correctly with very vm intensive conditions.

    That is true, but it is ignoring the fact that there _are_ real technical
    differences between swap cache mappings and regular shared mappings.

    One major difference is the approach to the last user: a last use of a
    shared mapping still needs to write out dirty state, while the last use of
    a swap page is better off noticing that it should just optimize away the
    write, and we can just turn the page back into a dirty anonymous page.

    But the differences are much smaller than many of the similarities.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:26    [W:0.026 / U:0.660 seconds]